A Yard & A Half has been a long-time supporter of the Community Outreach Group for Landscape Design. After 16 years of connecting designers to under-resourced communities throughout Eastern, MA, COGdesign’s co-founder and Executive Director, Lucia Droby, is moving on. No one can fill Lucia’s shoes, but we hope that you will help us to reach the best candidates for the position of Executive Director.
If you have experience managing communuity-based organizations, we would love to hear from you. Otherwise, we hope you’ll share the job description below with your own networks.
Executive Director – Community Outreach Group for Landscape Design (COGdesign)
Founded in 1997, COGdesign is a non-profit service organization offering quality landscape design for community-based groups; meaningful professional experience for student and practicing landscape designers; volunteer opportunities for those interested in strengthening communities by creating and improving neighborhood green spaces.
Position: Executive Director (ED), reporting to the Board of Directors, will have overall operational responsibility for the COGdesign’s programs, staff, volunteers and execution of its mission.
Leadership, Program and Management
• Collaborate with Board to maintain continuity of mission and to develop, evaluate and execute strategic plan.
• Work with Board President to plan Board meetings.
• With Board input, initiate and coordinate landscape design projects, including matching designers with sites and facilitating communication and deliverables between designer and client.
• Oversee COGdesign’s participation in installation and maintenance of projects with the Planting Brigade and green-industry partners.
• With Board committee, manage and evaluate program performance including completed Projects and Planting Brigade volunteer activities.
• Oversee work of staff and volunteers.
Outreach and Communication
• Provide regular updates and recommendations to the Board of Directors.
• With appointed committees, plan, publicize and execute special events including Project Showcase and other events based on strategic plan priorities.
• Oversee and evaluate communications and strategies for email, social media, blog, marketing, PR and print including periodic newsletter to COGdesign supporters.
• With Webmaster, provide oversight and content for COGdesign website at www.cogdesign.org.
• Collaborate with Development Committee to identify and pursue strategic alliances with volunteers, partner agencies, municipalities, grant makers, donors and prospective project sites.
Financial and Fundraising
• With Finance Committee and Treasurer, develop and monitor annual budget, oversee all federal and state tax filings and reporting.
• Provide financial oversight and reporting to Board with Finance Committee.
• With Development Committee, initiate and execute strategies to grow earned and contributed revenue (fund-raising).
• With Development Committee, sustain, implement and grow outreach to business and individual donors.
The Executive Director is committed to COGdesign’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and management experience. In addition, other qualifications include:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Organizational management with the ability to coach staff and volunteers, manage and develop teams to achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
• Action-oriented, self-directed, entrepreneurial, and adaptable.
• Ability to work effectively independently from a small office and in collaboration with people from diverse economic backgrounds.
• Track-record of broadening a donor base, and initiating, developing, and sustaining deep relationships with a broad and diverse constituencies.
• Marketing, public relations, grant-writing and fundraising abilities.
• Demonstrated interest or experience in landscape design and implementation, and an understanding of the benefits these bring.
Please contact, before March 31st, 2014:
• Diane Aronson: aronsons (at) comcast.net
• Carolyn Edsell-Vetter: carolyn (at) ayardandahalf.com